Baptist preachers have a reputation - probably deserved - of being fat. That doesn't make them slow bellies. A lot of it is an occupational hazard. Part of it is ignorance. This blog is dedicated to blasting ignorance with a little knowledge - and a few laughs!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gene's Holiday Diet Secret

I've been thinking about weight control lately. I know, I know: This is a pretty poor time of year to think about that subject! Not to imply that there is a good time to think about it.


I don't know how it works where you live, but many people find it easy to stray from their diet goals during the end of the year holiday season. Part of the reason is that the end of the year holiday season starts around the fourth of July and doesn't really let up till Spring. By then, it's time for picnics.


Another factor is all of the practice we've had not being on a diet the rest of the year. If you've been eating as much of everything you can find since January, why slow down now, just as the really good food comes out? It's not like you're trying to cut back on Krispy Kreme donuts. You can do that any time you want to. Now it's turkey and dressing and gravy and three kinds of potatoes with real butter and pumpkin pie and. . . things which don't find space on our tables most of the rest of the year. Cut back? Listen, the rest of the year has been warm-up for these very meals!


Finally, many of the essential activities of the season require food. Do you know anyone who has ever watched a football game without eating? I didn't think so. What would be the point in that?


Most of the advice that the "experts" give us is not helpful. "Get more exercise." Think about it: You've just eaten half a smoked ham, along with all of the fixings, and now you are going to jog down to the gym, get on the treadmill and burn off six weeks of calories in one afternoon? I doubt it, but if you do, you can be pretty sure you'll have the whole gym to yourself.


Here is one of my personal favorites: "Eat in moderation." That doesn't work very well even at times of the year when the point of breathing is something besides eating. How is it going to work now? How do you overeat in moderation? "I'll just stop at seconds on the pie and ice cream, thanks; no thirds this year. I'm trying not to gain weight."


So, does all this mean that we are doomed to failure again this year? Hardly. For most people, the missing piece of the weight control puzzle is goal setting. Set reasonable, achievable goals, and success is all but assured.


I'm no fool. I know that we can reasonably expect to gain some pounds and inches this time of year. Fine. Let's set some limits though. Then, when our weight gain is within our goals, we can feel good about ourselves, something that will motivate us to set more goals, achieve more success.


Here is my weight control mission statement for the 2008-2009 holiday season: I plan to keep my weight gain to less than one hundred pounds and ten inches around my waist between now and the end of the year. I am sure I can do this. I am determined to keep within that goal. I am totally focused on success and see no way I can fail. I am totally plumped! I mean, pumped.


You are welcome to try this same system yourself. You may want to tweak the limits a bit, to reflect your own experiences and menu, but remember to keep it within reach.


Let me know if this works for you!


Feeling better already,

gene


PS Seriously, though, setting goals is an important part of getting anything done. Including weight loss. Or, more specifically, fat loss. Tom Venuto has written a great eBook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, that gives you the knowledge you need to be successful.


Among other things, Tom Venuto is a trainer, nutrition consultant, freelance writer, gym owner and success coach based in Hoboken, New Jersey. Really! Hoboken. He is also the author of the successful Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle fat loss program. Burn the Fat is based on real-world results and years of experience. Oddly, most of it is just plain, common sense; it would make our mothers happy! However, there is lots of information in the eBook that was news to me.


Why in the world would I recommend Burn the Fat? Listen, I made some fantastic progress losing fat and gaining muscle just following the general suggestions in his twelve part mini-course. I didn't have the cash to buy the eBook, but I was impressed with what he had to say in his free stuff. Plus, I saw tremendous results just doing the things I could figure out from his general information. I've since purchased the eBook and seen even more progress. This works for me, and it will work for you, too!


But, don't just take my word for it – visit his Burn the Fat website to learn all about the program, sign up for his twelve part mini course, Big Fat Lies, and get even more free goodies to get you started. Then, when you are serious about fat loss, order his eBook here.


Or, better yet, order now. Listen, you have nothing to lose but fat. Tom even offers you an 8-WEEK, NO-RISK, UNCONDITIONAL 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!


No comments:

Post a Comment